Saturday 21 November 2009

Snowball

Getting a bit behind with my duties now, as the term nears its end and the several courses I am running all start to build up and snowball together.

Last year, 'Exploring the Subject' was well reviewed by students but the essays were not as strong as the attention had been in the classroom, therefore this year I have been emphasising the essays more and briefing about them often, trying to show that they are integral, not a chore 'bolted on' to the course or to be only considered at the deadline.

Another problem last year was the amount of students who actually read the set texts and were prepared to respond to them were few, and though this is improved this year it still means I default to Lecture-mode rather than really conducting a 'Seminar'.

Nevertheless I also see that I should tailor the texts more carefully mixing more introductory material with challenging texts- if I get the chance next year to run this course again. I certainly think it's a useful component for any undergraduate art and design degree to make serious and inventive considerations about the History and Theory of 'The Subject' in a group and write a short essay on the theme.

I also think a course like this could be a bit longer as there is so many rich ideas to consider and this would allow for more group activities and student input.

It's another weekend packed with teaching responsibilities but I will try to post a Blog that glosses the Jacqueline rose text (on Lacan and Feminine Sexuality) before the Tuesday session, but hope to spend most ogf this final session together talking about your essays.

No comments:

Post a Comment